March 15

Bellarine Rail Trail

For this week’s challenge I needed to write a post about where I live however I have written many posts about my town such as about the post I wrote for a local radio station BayFM, our towns theme park, our local  football team and of course our town Geelong. I thought I’d write a persuasive argument about why people should use our local rail trail to ride their bikes instead of on the road.

The Bellarine Rail Trail runs from Geelong to Queenscliff. It use to be a railway track which opened in 1879, then in 1976 the rail way line closed. In 1979 they reopened the track between Drysdale and Queenscliff for tourist train rides. The rest of the track has been turned into a bike / walking track. I have riden with my family to Newcomb and to Drysdale from Leopold.

I believe the rail trail is better than the road.

Firstly, the rail trail is safe. It’s safe because there are no cars, so no one can run over you.

Secondly, it’s more quieter. It’s quieter because there is no traffic as it’s located away from the road.

Last but not least it’s less busy on the rail trail than the road because it’s very long and people can use it at different spots.

That’s why I believe the rail trail is better than the road.

What did you think of my persuasive text?  

Posted March 15, 2012 by Jarrod in category Uncategorized

12 thoughts on “Bellarine Rail Trail

1. Mrs Kathleen Morris

Dear Jarrod,

What a great idea for a blog post.

You have the right format for a persuasive text with an introduction, some arguments broken into paragraphs and a conclusion.

I agree that the Rail Trail is a great place to ride. Nate and I sometimes ride on there. Once we rode all the way to Queenscliff and back. It was windy so it was hard going on the way back and we were exhausted!

Have you been writing persuasive texts in class?

In Term Two the Grade Fours will be starting Bike Ed. Are you looking forward to Bike Ed next year?

Your former teacher,
    Mrs M☀rris

1. Jarrod (Post author)

@ Mrs Morris,

Thank you for leaving me a comment.

Yes,we have been doing persuasive text.

I don’t know if like bike Ed.

Happy blogging,
      Jarrod

2. Ross Mannell

Dear Jarrod,

You didn’t have to be too persuasive to sell me on the idea. I am a railway fan but hadn’t heard of the Bellarine Rail Trail.

I know of other old rail routes, mostly in the UK, where you can walk or cycle along the old track bed or beside the line of preserved railways. What appeals to me about them over roadside rides is not only the safety but the grades (ups and downs). Trains can’t climb too steep a hill so the slopes aren’t as bad as on roads.

Perhaps if I get down that way, I’d be able to take time to look at the tourist train and track. :)

@RossMannell
    Teacher, NSW, Australia

1. Jarrod (Post author)

@ Ross,

Thanks for the comment.

What rail trail do you reckomend for peapel?

Your pal,
      Jarrod

3. Pingback: Visit these – week 2 : Challenge Yourself to Blog

4. Pingback: Visit these – week 2 | Well Done!

5. Helen Digby

Hi Jarrod

Another interesting and informative post. I often spend time in Geelong (I have relatives at Lara). My Dad and I like riding old trains so may be this is something we should investigate.

Mrs Morris is right, you have already nailed the structure for writing persuasive texts. I am also impressed that you use hyperlinks to add value to your posts.

I can’t wait for the next topic!

cheers
    Diggers