March 4

Chow mien

On Saturday the 3rd  I cooked tea for my Nana, Par, Mum and brother Tyler.

Here is the recipe to make it:

1/2 kilo (500 grams) mince meat.

1 pack of chicken noodle soup.

3 table spoons of rice (uncooked)

4  silver beet sticks

2 onions

1/2 finely chopped silver beet

beans

1 table spoon soy sauce

3 table spoons tomato sauce

1 teaspoon curry powder

6 shacks pepper

1 teaspoon salt

1.Put water,chicken soup and meat in saucepan and stir.

2.Add all other ingredients,stir until it boils,then  simmer for 30 mins.Stirring occasionally.

3.Serve.

Everybody loved my tea, Nana scored my tea a 9.7 and Par scored it 9.5.

What do you think about the recipe?

What do you like to cook for tea?

Posted March 4, 2012 by Jarrod in category Uncategorized

22 thoughts on “Chow mien

1. Mrs Kathleen Morris

Dear Jarrod,

What a big help you are making dinner for your family. That recipe looks very nice and you did a great job!

Tonight for dinner I am cooking wontons (dim sims) and fried rice. It took a while so it is a good meal to make on the weekend.

Do you have a favourite meal that you like to have for dinner?

I hope I’ll see you tomorrow at the blogging club.

Best wishes,
    Mrs M☀rris

1. Jarrod (Post author)

@ Mrs Morris,

Thanks for your comment.

My favourite type of food I like to eat is Mexican and seafood especially muscles.

Was your wontons and fried rice nice?

Your pal,
      Jarr☀d

1. Mrs Kathleen Morris

Dear Jarrod,

Wow you got a lot of comments on this post! And you’re doing a great job at replying. I know how much work it is.

Yes, my fried rice and wontons were delicious and the best thing was that there were leftovers so I didn’t have to cook the next night.

I like Mexican food too and I like some seafood but I don’t like mussels.

Did you know muscles = the part of your body and mussels = the seafood? You could say muscle/mussel is a homophone (sound the same but different meaning).

Enjoy the long weekend,
        Mrs M☀rris

2. briace1

Hi Jarrod,
    I love cooking but Chow Mein is something I’ve not ever cooked, so I might give your recipe a try during the week. Tonight I am cooking pan fried salmon with oven roasted potato chips and a salad. This is because my husband doesn’t like fish much and he is out tonight and there is only me and my daughter home for tea. My favorite meal is hard to say because I really like a variety at the moment I think it would be pork belly but we don’t cook it very often because it is very fatty and so is only a very occasional treat?

Apart from Chow Mein what is your favorite thing to cook?
    What is the the best meal you like to have cooked for you?
    Cheers,
    Heather Carver

1. Jarrod (Post author)

@ Heather Carver,

Thank you for leaving me a comment.

I love cooking pizza, sometimes I even make the dough. I also like fish especially when my Dad has caught it.

Did you make the chow mein and did you like it?

Happy blogging,
      Jarr☀d

3. Jean Hino

Dear Jarrod,

Wow! I am really impressed with the meal you made and how carefully you copied the recipe. I’ll have to ask one of my Australian friends what silver beet sticks and beet beans are and if we can get them here in Japan.

I made pasta last night and added some of the leftovers from the pizza we had earlier this week. We made pizza in school and then I had so many leftovers I made it for my dinner. It was my first time to make the dough from scratch and I wasn’t sure how much of the toppings I needed. My students wanted salami, ham, tomatoes, green peppers, mushrooms and corn. One boy wanted broccoli but I wasn’t ready for that on pizza. Keep on cooking and sharing your yummy recipes.

Mrs. Hino

1. Jarrod (Post author)

@ Mrs Hino,

Thank you for leaving me a comment.

Silver beet sticks are the stems from the silver beet and the beans are just green beans. We grew them both in our vegie garden otherwise we normally use cabbage and celery instead.

There’s a pizza shop near my house that has different pizza toppings such as nachos, hotdogs, cheeseburgers and even souvlaki.

Your new pal,
      Jarr☀d

4. Lindy Buckley

Dear Jarrod,

Mrs Morris shared your blog on twitter and I am reading it in Jakarta, Indonesia.

Your Chow Mein sounds delicious!

I am making stirfry vegetables and rice for dinner. I bet it won’t be as yummy as yours!

Yours enviously,

Mrs Buckley

1. Jarrod (Post author)

@ Mrs Buckley,

Thank you for leaving me a comment.

I also like stirfry especially when Mum puts tofu in it. Do you like tofu in yours?

Your new pal,
      Jarr☀d

5. Mum

@ Jarr☀d,

What an excellent job you did on your post.

You did a fantastic job last night, you should be very proud of yourself. It was nice not to have to cook by myself and set the table so thank you.

It was a great suggestion of Nana’s to swap the celery sticks and cabbage with silver beet, it’s always nice to use the vegetables we grow in our vegetable garden.

It’s nice to see that you were able to use Nana’s version of Cookery the Australian that she used at high school. When I was in high school I always thought it was funny that Nana and I used the same text book but different version for cookery.

Keep up the great work,
    Mum

1. Jarrod (Post author)

@ Par,

Thank you for leaving me a comment.

Maybe next time you can cook me tea, as Nana always cooks.

Love,
      Jarr☀d

6. Nana

@ Jarrod
    I really enjoyed the meal you made, I especially like it when I don’t have to cook.

I like to cook when I have time.I like pasta with mushrooms and garlic but it not Par’s favorite, he likes red meat like steak and roasts.

7. Ross Mannell

Dear Jarrod,

You’re not only a super blogger but you can cook? Wow!

I can cook also but often restrict myself to cakes, slices and cookies. When cooking a dinner, it’s nothing fancy but I have done stir fry and others things.

I hope you’re having fun at school this year. Do you have a favourite subject in Year 3?

@RossMannell
    Teacher, NSW, Australia

1. Jarrod (Post author)

@ Ross Mannell,

Thank you for leaving me a comment.

So far this year I’ve liked working on my DAT which has been about being healthly. I did an acrostic poem about being healthy using my name which was fun to do.

Your pal,
      Jarr☀d

8. Mrs McKenzie and B4

Dear Jarrod
    I think your meal would be delicious. It’s great that you are learning to cook at a young age and that you share the job at home.

I am very lucky that during the week Mr McKenzie cooks the meals, because I am busy at school.
    Then at weekends I cook, because that is when he goes to work!

If I am busy I like to cook what I call ‘one-pot’ meals, where lots of things go together in one pot and then we just cook rice separately.
    Your chow mein recipe would be ideal!

What other meals have you learned to cook?
    Do you cook cakes as well?

warm wishes
    Mrs McKenzie

1. Jarrod (Post author)

@ Mrs McKenzie,

Thank you for leaving me a comment.

I have cooked fried rice, pizza’s, BBQ’s and kebab’s. I also like to cook sweet foods like cakes, biscuits and slices.

Your pal,
      Jarr☀d

1. Jarrod (Post author)

@ Billy,

Thank you for leaving me a comment.

I had a look at your blog I thought it looked good. I liked the picture of the kid from Diary of a Wimpy kid.

Your new pal,
      Jarr☀d

9. jack

Hey jarrod

chow mien is one of my favourite foods i cook for my family to so i will use your recipie