October 9

Skyping with Royce

On Sunday I Skyped with Royce from Mrs Yollis’ class. Royce and I both enjoy playing Poptropica and have been having a conversation about the game and giving each other advice on how to play on my A Game for you to play post. Here is some of our conversation.

Royce conversation
Royce conversation 2

Royce and I decided that we’d like to play a game of Poptropica together so we decided to Skype each other so we could see each other and talk while we played. It was early Sunday morning here (Leopold, Australia) and late afternoon Saturday for Royce (California, USA).
We got to play:

• Ballons
  • Star link
  • Sky dive
  • Pathways
  • Paintwar

We also gave each other tips and advice about the game and how to get new items, I even turned Royce into a Zommbie and saw him in his Halloween costume.

Here is a slide show of us Skyping and playing Poptropica that I made.

Skyping with Royce on PhotoPeach

I also learnt that Royce has been to Disneyland, has a sister, likes living in America and that he’d love to come to Australia one day, how cool would that be if I got to meet him.

Have you ever Skyped with a friend and who was it?

Do you play any online games with your friends?

Posted October 9, 2011 by Jarrod in category Uncategorized

26 thoughts on “Skyping with Royce

1. Miss Kelly Jordan

Dear Jarrod,

This post made me smile, how wonderful that you have made a new friend from Mrs Yolli’s class and that you skyped him today! It sounds like you and Royce have a lot in common! 🙂 How long did your skype chat go for?

As you know, we have skyped classes at school before. I also sometimes skype with Mrs Morris and other friends at home. Mrs Morris and I have also skyped with teachers in Melbourne to teach them all about blogging! Skype is certainly a wonderful communication tool.

What did Royce learn about you in your skype chat today?

See you tomorrow,
    Miss Jordan

1. Jarrod (Post author)

@ Miss Jordan,

Thank you for leaving me a comment.

I skyped with Roce for about an hour as it was getting close to his tea time, which was funny since I had finished breakfast not that long before.

Maybe Royce might be able to reply to you about what he learnt about me, when he wakes up.

Your pal,
      Jarr☀d

2. Mrs Kathleen Morris

Dear Jarrod,

This is a really special post and I can’t wait to share it with the students and other teachers.

I think it is simply fantastic that you made your own connection with Royce and organised to Skype with him. That sounds like my favourite word…initiative!

How great that even though you and Royce live on opposite sides of the world, you have a common interest and can use technology to get to know each other.

How long were you on Skype with Royce for? Did Tyler or your parents say hello too?

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this post so everyone can read about your connection.

I hope you’re looking forward to Term Four.

See you tomorrow,
    Mrs M☀rris

1. Jarrod (Post author)

@ Mrs M☀rris,

Thank you for leaving me a comment.

Tyler and my mum said hello and I got to say hello to Royce’s mum and dad.

I thought it was pretty special too we’re hoping to do it again soon.

Look forward to seeing you on Monday but am sad 😥 that there’s only one more term of Grade 2.

Your pal,
      Jarr☀d

PS I’m going to miss you.

3. sgalvin

Dear Jarrod,

I think that it’s absolutely fantastic that you were able to Skype and play an online game with Royce. It sounds like the both of you have made a great friend through blogging and connecting with each other despite living in two different countries.

I’ve used Skype often, to talk to family and friends who don’t live nearby. Mostly I love to Skype my youngest cousin who is 6 years old – I only get to see him a few times a year and we talk about all the things he does at school and on the farm where he lives.

I also play online games with my friends who are also teachers. We like to play word games like Words With Friends on the iPad/iPhone!

When I first started to make connections with people overseas it was tricky to get the hang of different timezones. I’m glad that you and Royce were able to find a time that worked for both of you!

I hope that the two of you keep in contact!

Stef Galvin

4. Jarrod (Post author)

@ Stef Galvin,

Thank you for leaving me a comment.

Do you play any Skype games online with your cousin ❓ I have played them before with my oldest cousin.

Your pal,
    Jarr☀d

5. Ross Mannell

Hello Jarrod,

You have yet again posted a wonderful addition to your blog. Skype is a great way to communicate with friends without the expense of standard phone lines. While I have played online games with friends, I haven’t used Skype with them while playing.

Keep up the excellent posts.

Ross Mannell (teacher)
    NSW, Australia

1. Jarrod (Post author)

@ Ross Mannell,

Thank you for leaving me a comment.

I liked being able to Skype while playing as we could talk to each other about what we were doing and what we should do next.

Your pal,
      Jarr☀d

6. William Chamberlain

When I started Comments4kids I was hoping that I would see students begin to make connections through blogging. You did it!

When I was your age the only way I could communicate with people not in the same room was through a telephone (or through letters in the mail.) It was impossible to meet new people from other countries.

My students played Poptropica too last year. One of them discovered you can find walk-through’s online. I like how you and Royce helped each other out better. 🙂

Mr. C
    NoelTigers.com

1. Jarrod (Post author)

@ Mr C,

Thank you for leaving me a comment.

When did you start using the internet instead of letters to talk to people ❓

Your new pal,
      Jarr☀d

1. William Chamberlain

Jarrod, that is a good question. I started using the internet to talk to people about seven years ago. I was taking classes on how to use computers in my classroom and needed to communicate with others in my class.

Now I talk to people all over the world. 🙂

Mr. C

7. Mrs. Y♥llis

Dear Jarr☀d,

Like Miss Jordan said, this post made me smile! To think that one of my students from California would be connecting with you via Skype is really remarkable. You and Royce are growing up in a time where Skype calls and blogging make connecting with people all over the world seem easy. For me, this is quite extraordinary! When I was in school, I would write letters to pals in other parts of the world. The letters would take days to arrive and to wait for a reply seem like forever! Now we can connect instantly! Wow!

I think that you two boys are a good match for each other. Both of you are terrific writers and communicators and both of you are fantastic bloggers!

Yes, I have Skyped many times. I’ve Skyped with Mrs. Morris and her husband, Nate, Miss Jordan, 2KM and 2KJ, Mrs. McKenzie, Mr. Salsich, Mr. Avery, Mrs. Hembree, and many more! It’s fun to connect with friends!

Like Mrs. Morris said, I like your initiative! It’s wonderful that you took action to make a new friend. I also like that the parents got a chance to meet one another. What did you think of our American accents?

Terrific work, Jarr☀d! I’m very proud of you and Royce!

Your blogging buddy,
    Mrs. Y♥llis
    California

8. Cybrary Man - Jerry Blumengarten

Dear Jarred,
    You are proving that we now live in a flat world. I think it is wonderful that you can skype and connect with other students all around the world. Great idea to play a game with Royce and talk about it while you skyped with him.

Keep on blogging and connecting.

Cybrary Man
    Florida, USA

1. Jarrod (Post author)

@ Cybray Man,

Thank you for leaving me a comment.

How long have you been blogging for and talking to others people from around the world ❓

Your pal,
      Jarr☀d

9. Jarrod (Post author)

@ Mrs. Y♥llis,

Thank you for leaving me a comment.

I can’t believe I got to Skype with one of your students from California ❗ I thought their accent sounded really good except when we were telling each other the code to type in we had to repeat ourselves sometimes as we couldn’t understand each other, it was a bit funny.

You have Skyped with a lot of people, you must have a lot of friends all over the world. I can’t wait to Skype with your new grade.

Your pal,
    Jarr☀d

10. Logan

Dear Jarrod, 😆

Awesome post Jarrod!

How many times have you been skipping with Royce?

Are you having fun playing with Royce on poptropica?

happy blogging. 😎

from your friend, 👿
    Logan. 😆

11. Royce

@ Jarrod,

I did have a really fun time skyping with you! My favorite game that we played was sky diving. What was your favorite game that we played?

I learned that you have a brother named Tyler, and that you have never been to America. I also learned that when you come to America, you want to go to Disneyland and Universal Studios. Last, I learned that you call the last meal of the day tea time. I call it dinner.

Sincerely,
    Royce

P.S. I cannot figure out your HTML codes such as the yellow smiley face, the yellow question mark, and the yellow exclamation mark. Can you teach me?

1. Jarrod (Post author)

@ Royce,

Thank you for leaving me a comment.

I Had great fun Skyping with you too. I forgot to ask you though, how long have you being playing Poptropica for ❓

My favourite game that we played was star link but I did find it funny when your parachute didn’t open and you crashed into the ground.

One day I’ll write a page on the HTML code but for now I suggest you visit 2KM & 2KJ’s blog as the page there is how I learnt how to do the code.

Your pal,
      Jarr☀d

PS I would love it if you would help me reply to peoples comments on this post. Thanks

1. Royce

Dear Jarrod,

My parents bought me a Poptropica membership for six months. Everything in the store is now free when you have a membership! The membership costs $20 US dollars. Maybe you could ask for it for your birthday.

Here is a list of things that I can do now that I have everything in the whole store:

I can make people have snakes in their hair, blow skeletons out of my mouth, use the shrink ray, shrink myself, make a meteor shower, make it snow, make myself sparkle, make myself invisible, burn on fire, make other people gold, make myself gold, change my skin and hair color anytime, make flowers appear anywhere, make soda cans appear anywhere, and much more that I have not tried yet.

Now three people in my class want to Skype with you and me: Brenden, Trey, and Acacia. Brenden suggested that you put one viewing window in every corner of your computer.

Sincerely,
        Royce

12. John Strange

Dear Jarrod,

Your posts and comments have inspired me to work even harder encouraging students to blog and Skype with one another. Keep up the good work!

John Strange
    Professor, University of South Alabama
    Mobile, Alabama

13. Jarrod (Post author)

@ John Strange,

Thank you for leaving me a comment.

Were is University of South Alabama ❓

Your new pal,
    Jarr☀d

14. John Strange

The University of South Alabama is located in Mobile, Alabama.

Are you allowed to use Google Maps? Google Mobile, AL and you will find us very near the Gulf of Mexico.

Our mascot is a Jaguar.

Thanks for your reply!

John Strange

15. John Strange

Jarrod,

All of my students, who are in college learning to be teachers, have to do a Skype project. Would you be able and willing to participate in a 15 minute Skype session with two or three of them? We could arrange a time that works for you. They would ask about your blogging, how you use technology at your school, what interests you have, and they would also get your ideas on how to use blogs and other technologies in the classroom. That is what my class tries to teach them to do. So if you could help teach them during a 15 minute Skype session i would greatly appreciate it. Maybe one or two of you classmates would also like to join in the session.

Let me know.

Dr. Strange

16. Quinn

Dear Jarrod,

I hope you had a great time playing on poptropica with your friend,

It is fun playing in the funny rooms. How many times have you played on poptropica?

From your friend Quinn

17. Pingback: Skyping | Jarrod's Awesome Blog